The Creature Crew Privacy Statement
Last modified October 18, 2019
The Creature Crew, LLC (“TCC”) strives for excellence in all we do to provide quality tools for helping children develop a lifelong curiosity and love for the animal kingdom. We value the trust you place in us.
We provide access to you to our website at the URL www.thecreaturecrew.com (the “Site”) and we may provide the ability to use certain functionalities of the Site or provide services of various kinds (“Services”). From time to time we may need to collect information about our users and their use of our services to help us succeed in that goal.
TCC collects Personal Information, or information that allows someone to identify or contact you, including, for example, your name, your address, your telephone number, your email address, as well as any other identifiable and non-public information. We do this as required to provide the Services, as detailed in the Terms and Conditions, and as volunteered by you as part of registration. We may also collect non-identifying information, or information about you that by itself does not identify you, such as anonymous or statistical data.
How do we collect information?
We collect information in a variety of ways, some through information that you provide us when you register as a user on the Site or for the Services. Some of the information we collect is through passive collection, like through cookies. “Cookies” are small files placed on a user’s computer by a Web site in order to facilitate use of that Web site. For example, a cookie may contain information about a user’s preferences, so that the Web site automatically complies with those preferences whenever the user visits that Web site. When using the Service, we may create “cookies” on your computer for purposes of facilitating and maintaining your current user session, and may collect Personal Information using those cookies in order to enable Company to identify you in connection with the Service and to track use of the Service for purposes consistent with this policy.
We use these technologies for analytics and improvement of our Services (i.e., to recognize your browser as a previous user and save any preferences); to help us customize content during use of the Services; to provide you with content customized to your interests; to understand whether parents read email messages and click on links contained within those messages, so that we can deliver relevant content and offers; and to help measure and research the effectiveness of our Services.
We may allow third parties to place and read their own cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies to collect information through the Services, including to help us with traffic measurement, research, and analytics. We permit these third parties only to collect cookie information and similar identifiers that do not, on their own, directly identify you.
You may be able to refuse or disable cookies by adjusting your web browser settings. Web browsers are unique, so please check your browser’s instructions (often in the “help” section). You may need to take additional steps to refuse or disable Local Shared Objects and similar technologies. Local Shared Objects may be controlled through the instructions on Adobe’s Setting Manager page. If you choose to refuse, disable, or delete these technologies, some of the Services’ functionality may no longer be available to you.
Some web browsers transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether Users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not take action in response to these signals.
What information do we collect?
- Contact information. We ask Users to provide their email address so they may access certain services and/or receive tips about TCC content. We also may collect your child’s information such as name, email address, birthday, and other necessary information you may provide to us during the registration process.
- User name and password for account creation. An account may be required to use certain features of the Services. If you do create an account, we may collect user name and password from any user who does create an account.
- Basic geolocation information. We collect your zip code and other rough information about your location when using the Services, solely to display information and provide you with localized content.
- Search queries. Our Services may include search fields that allow you to search (only within the Services) for content or answers to questions. We collect information about what items and topics you query, and any additional search terms.
- Correspondence you send to us. We may store correspondence with parents related to our Services.
- Information about how our Services are used. We may collect data on how you use the Site, your pathway through the Site, how you reached our Site, and your browser information. This is to help improve the functionality of the Site for the future. This information is not typically associated with any online account and cannot be used to personally identify you.
- Device information. We may collect information about your device, including hardware model, operating system version, and unique identifiers. This is to make our Site and Services more useful to you.
We do not collect:
- Student education records (and therefore TCC is not subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”));
- Biometric or health data;
- A child’s personal information, except as described above for subscription/member services, and only with a parent or legal guardian’s consent or otherwise comply with law.
- We will not use children’s personal information we collect, if any, for marketing or online advertising.
With information we collect, we may . . .
- Provide local information including habitats and animals. We only use basic information such as zip code to identify your local area. A user’s IP address is stored in a local cookie. Users may be able to disable this cookie using their browser settings.
- Provide you with other localized content, for instance any regional animal relief agencies or rescue organizations;
- Debug or limit underwriting messages;
- Send parents TCC promotional materials or other materials related to our services;
- Analyze use of the Services for development purposes, such as determining popularity of pages, which browsers are frequently used, time spent on our Services, and from which websites users come to our site;
- Support the internal operations of the Services;
- Provide notifications regarding our legal obligations, including in the case of a data incident;
- Prevent prohibited or illegal activities and enforce the Terms and Conditions/User Agreement; and
- For any other purposes disclosed at the time we collect the information or in regard to your consent.
We may share information we collect as follows:
- Animal organization partners. In some circumstances, we may share information with agencies we highlight and partner with that deal with animal relief and/or rescue.
- Business transfers. We may share information in connection with a substantial business transaction, such as the sale of the Services, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Legal purposes. We do not rent or sell information to third parties, but we may disclose information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, law enforcement requests, legal claims, or government inquiries, and to protect and defend the rights, interests, property, safety, and security of TCC, our partners, members, or the public.
- With your consent. We otherwise may share your or your child’s information provided by you during registration with your consent.
Does TCC aggregate my information with other Users? If so, what does TCC do with that collective information?
If we aggregate Users’ information, we will do so in a way that does not directly identify you. We may share aggregated or de-identified information with third parties to improve content and Services. The third parties may possibly use this aggregated or de-identified information to develop their own products and service offerings.
Our protection of information we collect
Because we are committed to protect your information, we employ reasonable technical and administrative procedures, including appropriate encryption, to guard this information from misuse, loss, and alteration. While no transmission or storage of data can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, thus we cannot warrant the security of information you transmit to us, we want you to feel confident using the Services.